Body, established within a Technical Committee (TC), with Technical Board approval, having responsibility for a large programme of work in which:
- different expertise is needed for different parts of the work, and
- the range of separate activities needs co-ordination over long periods of time.
NOTE: Following a review of technical structures, the continued existence of SCs is non-preferred (See BT 53/1999 ). In principle, no new SCs are being established.
2 REPORTS TO
Its parent TC.
3.1 Prepares and progresses standards, operating in the same way as the parent TC.
3.2 Remains technically responsible should questions of amendment and interpretation arise on those standards it has produced.
3.3 Provide technical input to its parent TC concerning the activation and or revision of WIs
3.4 The parental TC remains responsible for the decisions on the creation of WIs, activation of WIs and on the submission of a final draft to Formal Vote.
Voting rights are restricted to CEN national members (1 member/1 vote).
- CEN national members
- Associates and Affiliates (see CEN-CENELEC Guide 12), upon request
- Observers from organizations that have been granted liaison
6 METHOD OF APPOINTMENT/REVIEW
6.1 CEN national members are permanent members of SCs for as long as the CEN national member retains its appropriate status. At meetings, CEN national members are represented by a maximum of three delegates one of whom acts as head of delegation. Other bodies may delegate observers to meetings.
6.2 The Chairperson is appointed by the parent TC under the same conditions as for the Chairperson of the TC.
6.3 The secretariat is appointed by the parent TC and the Secretary is appointed by the CEN national member holding the secretariat.
7 MODE OF WORKING
- Meets if deemed necessary
- Virtual meetings
- Works by correspondence (all decisions must be taken using the Committee Internal Balloting (CIB))
- Project Leader
- Working Groups, Ad Hoc Groups, Chairpersons' Advisory Group (CAG), Task Forces.